To do this, the mall has adopted an integrated approach to sustainability in the use of energy, water and waste through technological, operational and behavioural changes. Their main energy efficiency interventions include:
- Upgrading to LED lighting and a more efficient chiller plant
- An integrated building management systems (BMS)
- Improved heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) system
- 500kWP pilot rooftop photovoltaic plant, with 2 108 panels covering 3 300 m2, which supplies 5% of electricity needs
- Behavioural and awareness programmes for staff
Bayside Mall has moved beyond basic lighting retrofits and peak demand reduction, and its pioneering efforts have set it apart as an exemplary custodian of energy resources.